Anger Management for Teachers

My conscience is crippling me right now. It's hard when you utter words toward students that you should have not said and you are only saying such as to reprimand them anyway. Anger sometimes makes you look and feel evil. That is why when it occurs and happens unintentionally, it really strikes hard.
Though this should not be the last resort for the teacher, at times, we are saying harsh words to students as a way of disciplining them and signaling the weight of their misbehavior in the class. For some teachers, this method is quite working, but I do not adhere to it personally. No matter how good your intentions are as a teacher, the means should always be good and just even for those unruly students. As what Machiavelli apprehended “mean justifies the end."
As a novice teacher, I admit that my patience is quite shorter as compared to those seasoned ones. But I'm not trying to make this as an excuse though. I know I’m a newbie in this field and I want to fill what is lacking in me. As what the profession dictates us, among other professionals, teachers are one of the most patient, loving, and caring individuals in this world. We treat students as our own – our own child, brother, sister, or friend. The more we establish attachment with them, the more it hurts when we do something that should not be done on them. We value them that is why when we negatively disciplined them, we also feel the pain and the cost of it.
When the teacher’s emotions burst, staying and thinking calm really paid off. The more your emotions are unstable, the most likely you will utter bad words due to the fact that you are not on the right mindset. Though it is hard at times, this will always be the precautionary measure. Remember, prevention is better than cure. No matter how wrongful the behavior of the students is, teachers should always come to senses to be able to handle the situation. That is why I feel regretful after thorough thinking of the things I did to the students that made them feel uneasy, embarrassed and humiliated.
It is important for teachers to control their emotions and anger diligently. After rationalizing my thoughts of the previous incidences I had regarding the misbehavior of my students, when I carried away by my emotions, I think it is more appropriate that I should have been calmed, relaxed, and controlled my anger a little bit more during those times. Anger management for teachers does not only entail the controlling of one’s emotion as professional teachers but more of being responsible for the outcomes of our anger and emotion in general. That is my we should manage it properly for it may compromise our figure and status as role models of the youths, paragons of virtue, and molder of our future citizens and leaders.
There is always a room for improvement and anger management has a place in it. It is never too late to admit and learn from our mistakes. I truly believe, that in this world, it does not matter how much you earned and owned, but on how much you learned and discovered your very own. As I watched the “SUPERMOON” in tonight’s skyline, I remembered that teachers are like moon in the night sky – lighting the path of the students. We could give light on their path if we ourselves already lighted our very own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Localization and Contextualization in Teaching K-12 Social Studies

Analysis on Child Protection Policy (DepEd Order No. 40, s. 2012)

Bakit Nahihirapan ang mga Mag-aaral sa Araling Panlipunan?