Uncover Rizal: Silhouette of the Great Malayan

Ryan R. Pecson 
June 2015

        Pervasive as it today, the cancers of society inevitably trampled the morality of this nation. As selfishness corrupted our minds with despicable acts, we could hardly determine how to live this life more decently, courageously, and meaningfully. For at this moment, people as defenseless as we, it takes more courage to stand for ideals silenced by fear and human catastrophe.

     Speechless? That’s how we are for a hundred years of colonial oppression. Fear shook our principles and demoralized our philosophy. As we witnessed the passing years of defenselessness, we viewed ourselves as inutile and incapacitated. In short, we’ve been lost in the wilderness.

     My fellows, it takes more guts to accept the truth – that the truth may stab us and cause us downfall. For it’s hard to believe that we’ve slaved in our own land, that freedom is not ours, and the future is uncertain. Gone are the days of glory and dignity as we’ve been locked out to misery. So ashamed, that we are ashamed to tell those humiliating pages in our history.

         Years are the making of a great man, as a hero born out once in a blue moon. Though waiting is agonizing, it made us victorious. His pen written the pages of our history and marked an era of radicalism. For in a time when Indios had no voice and their summons had no place, his writings trampled our offenders and ignited the revolution. He may not have a sword, nor had participated in any direct assault, but his pen proven to be mightier than any sword as his words directly stricken the targets.

         For the savage rage of freedom and the defining moment he inscribed in the heart of the Filipino people, he’s truly worth emulating for. He made us proud of this Malayan race; a nation of brave and warm people. Centuries may have passed, but the greatness of his name will never be forgotten. As his fellow Blumentritt boasted with pride,

“Not only Rizal the most famous man of his own people, but the greatest man of the Malayan race has produced.”

Indeed, many of us remembered him as a jack of all trades – a man of splendid talents and intelligence. Extraordinary right? But for me, he is just as simple as us – living up the principles of life we ought to realize. He is just as cool as us – enjoying all the opportunities that this world is offering. He is each of us in many simple ways.

Though the path to greatness is painful, this nation will surely be immortalized again. I may not be as great as he, but one thing is certain – he taught me patriotism so passionately. To him, I’m not just the hope of today’s generation, but of tomorrow’s.

We may not be as great as he is, but with humbling pride, let us be like him in loving this country as we utter,
“I have loved my poor country, and I am sure that I shall love her until death, if by chance men are unjust to me; and I shall enjoy the happy life, contented in the thought that all I have suffered, my past, my present and my future, my life, my loves, my pleasures, I have sacrificed all of these for love of her. Happen what may, I shall die blessing her and desiring the dawn of her redemption.”

            He who is not afraid of his shadow uncovers the truth in his self.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Localization and Contextualization in Teaching K-12 Social Studies

Analysis on Child Protection Policy (DepEd Order No. 40, s. 2012)

Bakit Nahihirapan ang mga Mag-aaral sa Araling Panlipunan?